Working in Australia
Studying at ELSIS is more than just a classroom experience. Many students gain a lot of useful experience outside of the school during their time in Sydney. This can be on organized social activities, socializing with your new international friend, or working.
If you are on a Student Visa you can legally work 40 hours in a fortnight (2 weeks)
A few things to remember:
- English is not your first language, so you must be realistic about the kinds of jobs you can expect to get.
- Do not expect to earn a big salary! $12 – $25.
- If you are on a Student Visa you can only legally work 20 hours per week.
- If you are on a Working Holiday visa you can work full-time.
- If you are a on a Working Holiday visa you can work for one employer for up to 6 months.
- The less English you have the less choice you will have in jobs.
Typical jobs that you can find:
- Waiter / waitress in restaurants
- Coffee maker / assistant in cafes
- Hotel work / cleaning
- Night work in supermarkets
- Kitchen work in restaurants
- Farm work
- Nanny work with Australian families
- Office administration